Digital marketing strategies can help you reach untapped markets. So read on to learn all about growing your business online.
Frequently Asked Questions About Digital Marketing
What Is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing refers to any marketing effort that uses the internet or other electronic devices. This includes using digital channels to endorse brands, services, or goods. But digital marketing is more than just advertising online.
Just like traditional marketing strategies, digital marketing aims to get the company’s message to a specific set of customers. So digital marketing can also involve using digital channels to engage with the company’s target market.
How Does Digital Marketing Work?
With digital marketing, you don’t have to wait for customers to come to you. Companies can reach their customers directly.
A good digital marketing campaign will put your company’s message on platforms that already house your target market. It will also maximize the company’s digital marketing assets and match them with the appropriate digital marketing strategy.
What Are Your Digital Marketing Assets?
Digital marketing assets refer to tools you can use for online marketing. It includes any tool that a company can use to reach customers online.
Here are some examples:
- A website
- Company logos or icons
- Video content
- Image content
- Written content
- Social media accounts
- Customer reviews
- Marketing automation software
These are just a few examples of digital marketing assets. These will naturally evolve with internet and social media changes.
What Are the Types of Digital Marketing Strategies?
Here are the most common types of digital marketing strategies:
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC) – With this strategy, a company pays a publisher every time their ad is clicked. Google and Facebook Ads are examples of PPC. When you use Google Ads, your ad will appear as one of the top entries on their search engine results page.
- Content marketing – This strategy involves creating content that helps increase traffic growth, promote brand awareness, generate leads, and, ultimately, land customers. Content can include blog posts, ebooks, infographics, or videos.
- Social media marketing – This involves using social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, or Pinterest to market your business.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) – This refers to optimizing the content on your website so that it ranks higher on a search engine results page. When your website’s content is one of the first things that pop out in the search engine, more people will visit your website.
- Email marketing – This strategy is an oldie, but a goodie. Email marketing usually comes in the form of welcome emails, newsletters, or promos/coupons. Companies usually use email marketing as another layer of engagement with their existing customers.
- Mobile marketing – Most people check their smartphones throughout the day. So many businesses try to find their way to a customer’s mobile device. Mobile marketing can come in the form of SMS, MMS, IMs, or even specialized mobile apps.
- Affiliate marketing – this refers to partnering with another entity (another person or company) so they can handle the promotion of your business on their website or social media pages. It’s essentially a business partnership with established websites. For example, the YouTube Partner Program allows channels to show ads on their videos.
A digital marketing plan will normally involve several marketing channels and strategies. Marketing automation can help streamline your different digital marketing strategies so that you don’t have to do each task manually.
Why Is Digital Marketing Important?
The internet and e-commerce are here to stay. Most of your customers are internet users and they spend a good chunk of their time online.
They stay connected with friends on social media or instant messaging apps. They use the internet to stay up to date with news.
More importantly, most customers begin the purchasing decision process online. Think about it: if you’re interested in a particular product, what’s the first thing you do? You Google it!
We rely on the internet to learn more about products so that we can make a purchasing decision. Digital marketing gives you direct access to potential customers.
If you aren’t convinced yet, here are other benefits of digital marketing:
- Offers a cost-effective way to create brand awareness. Posting about your product on social media platforms is a lot cheaper than a billboard.
- Allows you to target specific prospects. Many digital channels provide targeting features that’ll help you get your message across to people who are more likely to show interest in your product.
- Creates opportunities for customer engagement before and after the sale. After each purchase, you can offer to send your customers a newsletter via email.
- Helps establish a community of satisfied customers. Satisfied customers love to rave about their favorite products on their personal social media accounts.
- Shortens and streamlines the buyer’s journey. Digital marketing and e-commerce allow you to cut out the middleman of the buyer’s journey. Customers can buy your product or services with one click.
- Provides easy-sharing opportunities between customers. Many social media platforms make it easy for people to share information.
- Opens up your market. Digital marketing allows you to target anyone who has access to the internet. It evens out the playing field between smaller and bigger businesses because you no longer need to spend millions to have a national or even global impact.
- Allows for more flexible strategies. In traditional marketing, it’s harder to adjust campaigns once they’ve launched. Digital marketing offers real-time data so you can keep fine-tuning your strategies to get the most bang out of your buck.
When you’re on the same platforms as your potential customers, you’re allowing them to learn more about your products and services.
How Do You Know If Your Digital Marketing Plan Is Working?
Each digital marketing strategy will have different key performance indicators (KPI). Here are common digital marketing KPIs:
- Organic traffic
- Time on page
- Overall blog traffic
- Total subscribers
- Total followers
- Number of Impressions
- Number of shares
- Email open rate
- Click-through rate
- Conversion rate
Each digital marketing strategy will have different KPIs. For example, the number of followers and shares applies to social media channels.
What Are Digital Marketing Best Practices?
There are different ways to maximize your company’s online presence, but here are some best practices to keep in mind:
- Get to know your audience. Just like in traditional media, you need to make sure that your message is relevant. It’s important to have a clear buyer persona before implementing your strategies.
- Use good and up-to-date data. Information, like email addresses, can go stagnant within a year. Make sure you have up-to-date information about your customers to maximize your efforts.
- Implement an omnichannel digital marketing strategy. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Make sure you get your message out there on several platforms.
- Upload relevant content regularly. Regardless of your channel, make sure you’re posting relevant and fresh content regularly. This helps improve brand recognition.
- Track performance. Take advantage of the real-time data in the different digital channels. If you see that a certain strategy isn’t getting as many hits, maybe it’s time to explore others.
Who Can Help You Implement Digital Marketing Strategies?
There’s so much potential in digital marketing, but it can be overwhelming at the start. There are a lot of factors to consider when you’re deciding on the best digital marketing tactics.
A virtual assistant who has digital marketing training can help you with this.
What is a virtual assistant? An off-site employee who can provide general or specialized services.
Since most of the work is online, a virtual assistant can easily take over your digital marketing efforts. A trained virtual assistant can help you maximize your company’s free and paid digital marketing channels.
They can help promote brand awareness and generate new leads. They can also track the analytics of different marketing efforts and provide you with invaluable marketing insights.
You can also hire a virtual assistant to take over specific digital marketing tasks. For example, you may have a good handle on your company’s social media sites, but you need a little help with your website.
A virtual assistant with training in SEO management can help level up your website so it ranks well on search engines.
Online sales are at an all-time high. Digital marketing and e-commerce are the future of business. Don’t miss out! Now is the best time to take your business online.
Virtual assistants can help you with all of your digital marketing needs. So if you’re ready to take the leap, visit the Virtual Hub today.
Other Blog Posts That You Might Like
- Supercharge Your Digital Marketing Strategy with a Virtual Assistant
- Can A Virtual Personal Assistant Take Your Business To The Next Level?
- Go-To-Market Strategy: How To Outsmart Your Competitors